A Simple Guide to Cleaning and Preserving Fragile Area Carpet
Even if you have beautiful hardwood floors in your home, chances are you have at least a couple of area rugs to add a designer touch to your décor. These rugs add softness and color to a room’s palette, and can help make the overall design of a room more cohesive.
Area Rugs Have Different Needs Than Commercial Carpet
Cleaning area rugs can be more challenging than wall-to-wall carpet. For one, area rugs (especially oriental rugs) are typically of a much finer quality, and their construction is different from stationary carpet. Luxurious area rugs can cost anywhere from a few hundred to thousands of dollars, depending on their age, quality of craftsmanship, and thread count. You definitely want to protect your investment in a fine area rug by properly caring for it, ensuring years of enjoyment and minimal wear.
Simple Rules to Preserve Your Investment
Here are some useful tips on cleaning and preserving your area rugs
- Take your shoes off when entering the house. Shoes track in dirt and bacteria from the outside. They also wear down your carpet pile and grind soil into the fibers. Keep your carpets and house cleaner by observing this habit.
- Vacuum as necessary, not every day. Because fine area rugs are more delicate than wall-to-wall carpet, every day vacuuming can accelerate deterioration. Twice weekly vacuuming is more than enough, unless cleaning a spill or tracked in dirt.
- Avoid harsh chemical cleaners on your area rug. Sprays and foams that are made for use on commercial carpet are not suitable for fragile oriental and hand-loomed area rugs. For spills, try a little baking soda and seltzer water. Better yet, try to absorb any stains before they set by just covering with paper towels to contain the moisture.
- Have your area carpets professionally cleaned once or twice a year. This does not mean steam cleaning yourself or by a commercial carpet cleaning service! Have your rugs sent out for cleaning and repair. Find a reputable company that does both.
- Keep antique area rugs out of high traffic areas. Purchase less expensive, commercially produced area rugs for this purpose.
Widmer’s Area Rug Cleaning Process
Our modern area rug cleaning facility is the largest in Cincinnati. If your rug needs repair in addition to cleaning, our rug experts can do binding, fringing, and serging to restore your rug to original condition. During our painstaking eight-step process, we inspect, vacuum, and inspect again. Then, we put your rug through our Mor Cleaning machine (the only one of its kind in Cincinnati) inspect once more, and then place the rug in our large drying room. To ensure the rugs dry completely, the temperature is maintained between 115-122 degrees F. Thorough drying blocks mold and mildew growth, and keeps colors true. We do a final inspection of your rug and wrap it for convenient delivery back to your home.
Widmer’s Area Rug Cleaning service has been providing professionally area rug cleaning, repair, and restoration for over 100 years.
PICK-UP AND DELIVERY – Call (513) 321-5100 – OR – Bring Your Rugs to Any of Our Locations!